Wednesday, February 16, 2011

6x6 film format - Yashica mat 124G classic camera

At the courtesy of Pixmation, he sent me this photo of his new toy - a Yashica classic camera, unused for 25 years. After some chat with Pixmation, I gotta know why some people are lingered with this type of camera. It's a larger format of film used 120 format or 6x6 (or 56cm x 56cm). As it's in a larger format, the DOF (depth of field 景深) is quite different from the 35mm film. The upper lens is for the viewfinder and the lower one for photo taking. (*Pixmation, please correct me). May I share the photos taken by Pixmation on this camera:


7 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

wow very classic camera and remind me that i am still very young .. :-)

pixmation said...

You are correct about the upper and lower lenses, the design is called Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera.

I have scanned and uploaded more test photos taken with this camera. I am liking the square format.

Yashica Set

pixmation said...

It's roughly called 6x6 (6cmx6cm) but I think it's actually 56mmx56mm.

in the sea said...

Yes, seeing this making us feel younger. Going back in time. That's why I just posted something nostalgic too.

Pixmation, you are getting "Leica" :) as that's what Leica often suggested on a square format, or not less than 3/4 since it's the best for the lens reflection.

BTW, Pixmation's one portrait photo got elected as a sample photo for 50mm F1.8 lens on Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/Portrait-Lenses-Weve-Fallen-in-Love-With

pixmation said...

This is the photo.

Portrait

in the sea said...

Thanks for the link to view Elaine's photo. Pixmation, I like this photo of yours. Feels like you are getting dizzy from the spin.

pixmation said...

I have added more photos to the set taken with the Yashica. Also discover this Fluidr.com site that makes viewing photos from Flickr much easier.

More Yashica Photos