Sunday, September 13, 2015

Yuet Wah Club, 越華會, Wanchai, HK

This restaurant originated from Mong Lung Street (very close to Kam Wah Street where the local food market is in Shaukiwan).  It was one of several local popular restaurants together with Kuen Fat.  Unfortunately, this restaurant and Kuen Fat went in the same way for their younger generations to run the restaurants in a short-signted big profit-earning by giving some cheap quality and "weight-cheating" seafood to the customers.  For example, a crab of just a 4 inches wide could be weighed over 1.5 Chinese catty (about 2 lbs).  If they run this restaurants in Tsimshatsui, they could survive, but so stupid that they did that in a place where the majority are the local fishermen of Shaukiwan.
Out of the blue, I felt like trying this restaurant in the Causeway Bay/Wanchai intersection on Lockhart road.  I'm glad that my curiosity won me a very nice and memorable meal as this place used to be all of my good old friends who once wouldn't mind waiting in line outside.  
Their stir fried spare ribs in sweet sour sauce was very nice that they chose some very nice meaty spare ribs instead of fat spare ribs.  I chose some local fishermen fish as the steamed dried shrimp on "silky" gourd.  One of my lost friend liked their signature fried rice so much that she wouldn't miss it every time she came here.  Glad that they kept in a very high standard - moist and yet separate rice in a nice aromatic battered egg and green scallion.  Not easy to do it in just a 2-3 minute quick stir frying.

5 comments:

Stella said...

The food from here looks good.
Fried rice is always my favorite.

in the sea said...

No problem... it's on the list.

Stella said...

Thank you Sea.

Stella said...

BTW, please kindly check where can I eat "film" as I miss it since I ate with you two last time at Phoenix.(The sesame roll we used to eat at dim sum lunch).
Thank you Sea.

in the sea said...

No problem. We can find that in Causeway Bay and Wanchai.