Saturday, October 17, 2015

Chan Zhou Yui restaurant, China Town, BKK

Lucky that we could get a table on our walk-in.    This time all the dishes were a bit better than the last visit of a few years ago.  Probably it's quite early (at 6-7pm) when the chefs weren't too busy.  Among all the dishes, I somehow like the dessert - reverse sugar-syrup-sugar taro.  It looks so simple but the way of making is of a very high cooking technique.  Cooke the sugar to melt with the taro chunks and then dry it back with the sugar coated evenly on it.  Usually quite many restaurant may not have the taro cooked well (either too hard or uncooked).  Or the sugar coating in the final step would be messed up.  

11 comments:

Stella said...

I think taro dessert is popular for the Chiu Chow people.
I like the "taro mud with white fruit" dessert too but most of the time it is too oily.

in the sea said...

The even better one was made with lard. :)

Stella said...

Har lard?
Long time no see and no eat.
I used to like the lard rice and the lard cake(from Macau).

in the sea said...

Some lard is good as it helps the brain cell grow.

Stella said...

If that is the case I shall take more lard to activate my brain.
I remember the lard noodle was good too long time ago.

in the sea said...

But need to tell you only get the lard from the outer part of fat under the skin, not the fat in between the meat. It is quite much different of the fat from different body parts. The fat under the skin is more "exercised"; so it's less in bad cholesterol - just like a sportsman. :)

Stella said...

Oh I see really thank you for the tips.
So I can eat more pig skins now they are my favorite.
I like both soft pig skin also the fried one put in hot pot.

in the sea said...

But do consider taking a very moderate amount of not less than 5-10g a day.

Stella said...

OK Sea.
I will save my daily quota for some 100g at one meal enjoyment then. :)

in the sea said...

Please don't listen to those comments for 1 day for 365 days. We have to balance our daily life at average. Some say they would save veggie when dining out, because veggie is cheap. Then eat more veggie when at home. It's really not a balanced diet. Our body would simply get heavier this way. Just like some people say that they can take a 3 day medicine in 1 time to get a earlier recovery.

Stella said...

That is true Sea you really made sense.
Thanks.