Sunday, January 6, 2019

A cozy Italian lunch, at Octavium, HK

A friend was very thoughtful of booking a table in a month's advance at this restaurant.  In addition, we got the lunch menu at the same time for checking whether the dishes were fine.  I then very much looked forward to the lunch as when I had my vision of all those dishes from the menu.
So each of us took a 5 course menu for a salad and a soup to start with.  The starters were more than enough for me to get almost full with the nice bread.  That would be a bit unfair for me to judge on the fish I ordered as I got almost full.  On the western cooking culinary, steamed or soaked fish filet is very hard to impress the diners.  This one was quite above the standard.  The desserts were definitely the highlight of the whole meal.  The only minor was the service of one waitress.  As we were asked if everything was ok, my friend commented on the cappuccino that it was lukewarm.  The waitress replied "our cappuccino was hand made and therefore it was lukewarm".  Then my friend made a gentle fun reply "well, please don't make a joke to me as I have been to Italy quite often, but those cappuccinos I tried were quite hot".  The waitress then commented "then those cappuccinos should be machine made...".  I was almost speaking up back to her undiscerning notes "how could you know my friend's tried cappuccinos weren't hand made.  At least I tried some coffees in Italy which were hot and those were hand made too".  I held up from speaking it up since it might make the whole conversation a bit like we were fighting with the waitress.  Better let her hold her ego of working in this restaurant.  After all, she should have known that the diners who come to this restaurant wouldn't be a nobody or someone ignorant about Italian cuisine.

No comments: