Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Gogol restaurant, Saint Petersburg, Russia

The receptionist politely reminded us to return the table in an hour because it's fully booked.  We thought they might be rushing to serve everything in a minute, but every dish was served in a very good timing.  Though the place was very historic (over 100 years old), it was very clean and tidy, as noted from the curtain, linen...etc.
We were first served with 2 warm breads - one multi-grain and the other onion cheese.  It's not just me who finished these 2 breads in a minute but most others did the same.  Then we had a double boiled beef soup and a borsch.  I was much surprised the double boiled soup was quite Cantonese style.  The only difference is the freshly chopped parsley which was western style.  The borsch was a bit sweet to me though.  As for the mains, we took beef stroganoff and a steamed fish cake (blended salmon and perch meat).  I actually took a bet for this fish dish because steamed fish is a very difficult one.  It could be very smelly, mashy, or rough.  The first bite told me I got a good bet.  It reminded me of the steamed fish patty with tofu (老少平安), a very family Cantonese dish.  It was really a fusion food to me when I had the raspberry beetroot sauce and the garlic butter mashed potato.  The beef stroganoff was the best among all the others we had tried.  Noted that it wasn't in a heavy creamy sauce.  Another pleasant surprise was the raspberry dumplings.  At first, I doubted it might taste quite weird, but it tasted very refreshing and the dumpling wrap was nicely done - not too chewy but not too soft.   

No comments: