Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Goodbye Ilona and her Budapest.

On the flight to Budapest from Geneva, a Hungarian lady was interested to ask where I am from.  So I had a brief chat with her.  She was curious to know what made me to visit Budapest.  I hesitated for a second but then replied her it's simply because of the rich historical background and the beautiful scenery...etc.  Back in my mind, it was also my silent agenda to visit this city because of the movie Gloomy Sunday (a story about a restaurant waitress being forced to get involved with a German lieutenant, and the waitress's lover - a pianist working in the restaurant wrote a piece of music of his complex feeling about the war time and his love being gone in hatred.).  The music was related to a series of suicide committed by the restaurant visitors.  Later on, the song was adapted into English and the song was called "Gloomy Sunday".  A city of being torn apart and no more tomorrow after the Sunday.  Love, hatred and despair - for people who hope the Angels have no thought of ever returning them.....  
This day the city was in a sunny bright weather.  I saw such a clear blue sky in a light haze.  I found the city vibrant, creative and bright.  I could see the subtle caring smile of Ilona (the Waitress in the movie).    

No comments: