Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Hai Ya Restaurant 海亞餐廳, Sanya, Hainan Island, China

No excuse that I can't run away from not trying the original Hainanese chicken and in fact, it's Wen Cheong (文昌雞) chicken - a town south west of the northern city hub Hai Kou.  When the chicken was served, I noticed something very eye catching.  It's the clear and fine chicken skin.  Further noted is that the chicken skin doesn't have too many black spots or bruise parts.  What amazed me is the texture of the skin - very bouncy.  The chicken meat is quite juicy and almost no fat inside between the muscle tissue.  I believe it's a free range chicken.  
Another surprising dish is the pan fried fish chunk (from "white belt" fish).  Missed it a lot.  My grand ma often chose this one.  Got a very simple but nice soup.  I like the way they made it not so complicated.  Just papaya, some ginger slices and spare ribs.  Hainanese food in general is not so salty and seasoned.  The whole meal is about RMB130 (HK$160).

4 comments:

Stella said...

Wow you are in China now.
$20 US for all these is good price.
I missed the "White Belt" fish here.

in the sea said...

Back to HK already. :)

Stella said...

Oh I see.
So time to go BKK and Phuket again.
My friends are very envious of you.
:)

in the sea said...

Chinese saying - people see you good and you see them good. :)