Saturday, December 28, 2013

Scalini, Hilton Sukhumvit, BKK

In taking the convenience of staying at her sister hotel, we came here for a cool sunny lunch.  The waiter highly spoke of their olive oil and balsamic vinegar as well as their cheese (over 30 years old).  As I turned over the bottle of the vineyard, I found out it can last until 2031.  Not sure where I'll be then.
Got a spinach salad and a bean soup as the starters.  Both are pretty nice, especially the salad (just some light olive oil and sea salt).  The olive oil is very refined and the balsamic vinegar is a must-try.  I finished all the bread with these.  Out of curiosity, I ordered a spicy grilled prawn soup.  It's not that surprising though it's not the best.  It was a bit cool down when it was served.  On the mains, we took a sea bass and the shop's signature dish - paccheri (a flat pasta) in duck ragout flavoured with black truffle.  The pasta is a bit too soft to me and not very freshly made though it's still good.  I supposed it should be a fresh tossed pasta instead of some having been made a few hours ago.  However, the sea bass is very nice and I'd recommend this one.  We had a panna cotta and a choco orange crust with vanilla ice cream.  The panna cotta is a bit too hard; so I'd prefer the latter one.   

3 comments:

Stella said...

All the dishes here are so good looking.
I don't remember I came to this hotel at all so must be a new one.
The last photo is so patriotic to America and make me think you are celebrating July 4th with me ha ha ha.
P.S. 17 years later you must be a full time professional traveller Sea.

in the sea said...

The 2 restaurants in this Hilton are quite American or quite NY too.

Stella said...

Glad to see some American friendly hotels overseas.