Friday, February 14, 2014

Le Gioffredo Bistrot, Nice, Southern France

There are times we might be sometimes getting a bit dizzy or disoriented.  This lunch told about it.
The shop caught my attention because of the locals crowded inside.  On the black board, the plat du jour (today's dish) was written with "Foie de Veau".  Though I don't speak French, as a result of my regular visit in Cannes, I can recognise some French (BTW: on my first visit, I was warned by a nice Local French lady that I ordered 3 soups.).  However, this time out of the blue, I asked the waiter what the black board was about.  There I was given an answer "poultry".   I didn't blame him, but until on my 2nd thought, I came to realise it should be something related to liver (from Foie) and Veau as Veal.  Then I told myself I must be wrong, as the waiter couldn't be wrong.  From my first bite, I could tell it's liver.  However, among all the various liver, cow's or veal's liver is the least I want.  Nonetheless, I must say that this restaurant is worth a visit.  This veal's liver was cooked in a perfect texture with a thick spread of garlic pesto paste.  The mashed potato was with some chunks that I like the mixed texture - smooth and chunky.  I'll definitely come back to this place for other dishes.

6 comments:

Stella said...

You are really a smarty the way you can detect their mistake on menu.
So this restaurant is quite good since you still have good comment on the veal liver that you are not too crazy about.

in the sea said...

I think it's not their mistake, just my sudden being or nowhere to re-check the words but rather think the waiter shouldn't be wrong. Anyway, no complaint about him since it's in France and not many locals speak fluent English. Let's say if we speak to a local HK in a local HK restaurant, we should expect something not so smooth.
Re the liver, it's not easy to cook it well on pan-fried. Just a 20-30 second variance and the control of fire, it can be easily overcooked. Vice versa, if it's undercooked, it can be very smelly and bloody (the bloody isn't like that from steak.).
BTW, I like the pan fried pig's liver in honey glaze by Shin Yeh!

Stella said...

Yes it does take good cooking skill to cook good liver dishes.
I don't like liver as I need to save my bullet for the cholesterol.

in the sea said...

Not sure if I told you that on the current western medical study that low heat cooking on certain organ parts of cow, pig, chicken...etc. can produce some good cholesterol. Actually if you recall, most of the cooking for many organ parts are in low heat cooking like double boiled pig's lung (燉豬肺), pig's liver dipped in hot water (豬潤水)....etc. BTW, the latter one is of some very good cutting skill and hot boiling water. Hope what I wrote wouldn't be too misleading. :)

Stella said...

I do like pig's lung soup and the slow cooking of pig's feet a lot though.

I still remember I had very nice pig lung almond soup at Jade Crystal with you few years ago.

in the sea said...

That's a good one but not sure if they still make it right.